Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 11 03/27 No more bacon :(


Got up early today and had a free breakfast provided by the Julian Lodge (thank you very much you guys!) and got a ride with Joe from one of the guys who works at the hotel back to scissors crossing, at mile 77 where we left the trail to resupply. Ahead of us was an ominous 13 mile waterless stretch and a climb from approx 2300 back up to 4300 ft. I normally carry 3-4 liters but I left with 5 and it ended up being plenty, even though it got really hot. We made it to the water cache 13.6 miles uphill, and It felt like striking gold- it wasn't empty. I filled up and ate lunch as I watched five blackhawk helicopters and three Ospreys ( a plane/helicopter hybrid) pass overhead. I could have camped there but I wanted to put a few more miles in for the day. It's seven days til the next real town, Idyllwild, so I need to average 15 miles a day for the next week.
I ended at mile 94.4 today and camped on top of a windy ridge with the only bare spot I could find to put my tent. Check out the mtn lion footprints that were nearby on the trail. Notice they have an inverted m in the paw, and are much bigger than bobcat tracks. No claw marks though, cause just like your little cat at home, they retract their claws.
Right now it's 10:54pm and I can hardy sleep. Gale force winds are whipping my tent back and forth .I have a week in the wilderness before I see a town or people again. Fun fun. It's like survivor man, except I brought food. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love being able to see the pictures! It looks beautiful wherever you are. Stay safe I hope to hear from you soon! Stay away from mountain lions! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH no dude that water is for the people crossing the boarder, lol.

    ReplyDelete