Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 24 04/09 Looking in the Mirror


In the morning we left Ziggy and the Bear's, our stomachs full and morale high. Apparently we'd been two of only a handful of hikers that crossed Fuller Ridge this early in the season.
We entered section "c," from the I-10 to the cajon pass, about 133 miles. It was hot and very clear that we were in the desert once again as the stretches between water became further and further.
We passed through the Mesa Wind Farm, in awe of the turbines that towered above us like sentinels and how they'd looked so tiny from eight thousand feet above. The water was irradiated there (Kind of scary) so we had to pack out as much as possible from the Bear's.
It was all uphill from the windfarm into the San Bernardino's. Eventually we came to the whitewater preserve, a really nice picnic area near a creek where families and day hikers come to splash and play. We took a siesta to avoid the midday heat and met this really cool family. The dad and mom were involved with scouting and were really nice but their son blew me away. I found myself wanting to talk to him even more than his parents. He reminded me so much of myself as a kid.
At first he was quiet, then he asked Joe if he was a diabetic. Joe was a little caught off guard, then the kid pointed out Joe's wireless blood sugar monitor and said he had one too, he was also type 1.
He then commented on the brand of my knife that I had- this kid clearly noticed details.
The more I talked to the kid the more intelligence he displayed. He was wise beyond his years and was a thinker. He loved the outdoors-hiking, camping, making a fire from scratch, etc. He took joy from that, which was refreshing compared to so many of the kids today that are glued to a TV screen. What impressed me the most though was to see that he didn't feel sorry for himself at all for being so young and being a diabetic. Joe talked to him about that, and left the kid with the message that it was part of what he was, not WHO he was-I saw it click in his head that if Joe was type 1 and could hike 2600 miles, nothing would ever hold him back. His mom was practically glowing the whole conversation.
We left the preserve motivated and inspired by this kid. I hope he goes places. I'm sure he will.
We made it out of whitewater canyon, only to be greeted with an almost fifteen mile uphill climb in the heat. This part was supposed to be mentally hard and exhausting. Joe read from our map notes.
"Long, hard, hot uphill slog. Bring your big boy pants."
I turned to him.
"I only got the one pair."

We pushed on into the evening and made it through the hottest part of the climb into the San Gorgonio Wilderness. With the sun going down and no obvious good camp for miles, we set up in the bottom a sandy wash off the trail just pass the San Andreas fault. It was the only flat spot around.
The sun set behind San Jacinto, and lit up all the clouds in the sky. Looking at that mountain I couldn't believe we'd come that far on foot. It was hard to comprehend.

Only 2400 miles to go. :)

6 comments:

  1. Love your journals, looking forward to my own journey some day, going to pass the site onto my nephew who has a definate interest in trekking around someday too.
    Joes feet look like they need help: Andrew Skurka,"Adventure of the Year" by Outside Magazine (just finished a trip through the Yukon), just wrote The Ultimate Gear Guide, says
    Foot Care: wash socks daily, no soap, to prevent grit & organic matter from abrading skin. At least once a day let take off shoes & socks to let feet dry & air out. At night put on clean,dry, warm socks to recover. Also at night if needed coat the bottoms with a hydrophobic balm such as Hydropel or Joshua Tree Climbing Salve. (Hydropel works best if it has a few hrs. to absorb into the skin). Blisters: Lance it,drain fluid, apply donut shaped moleskin pad or cushion to keep pressure off it, finally cover it with Leukotape.
    Feet are precious out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I hope your nephew gets a kick out of the site. Yeah, Joe had some topography going on with his blisters. Layer on layer of them. Luckily he did pretty much everything you recommended, even down to the salve. I offered him moleskin today, but now his feet are healed to the point where he finally doesn't need it.

      Delete
  2. Alex! Just read about you in the paper and thought to myself..."Im not surprised. I always knew that kid would take the road less traveled." Best wishes and good luck!

    Mrs. Heywood
    Hesperia High School but now across town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY IT'S MY FAVORITE TEACHER!!!
      Thank you, that means a lot coming from you! I hope I can ALWAYS take the road less traveled. I've got the seven summits in my sights after this.
      I've actually been thinking about you every once in a while over the last six months or so and have been meaning to contact you. There's some history related stuff I've been delving into for a few years now that I'd like to discuss. Things you'd find a little more than interesting. Maybe a little mind blowing.

      Take care! When I get back we have to meet. I'll schedule an appt if I have to. And I'm serious, you had the most impact on me out of any teacher I ever had. I don't say that easily. :)

      Delete
    2. Mind blowing history is right up my street. Just assigned "Lies My History Teacher Told Me" to my AP students which should blow their minds. Love following the blog. Keep in touch and when you get back, would love to meet. Thank you so much for the letting me know that I made a difference in your education. Gratitude is better than any paycheck. Be safe but most importantly have the time of your life! Heywood

      Delete
  3. I love reading your post. Look forward to them actually. Hope to tackle this in a few years but for now, I live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete