Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 41 05/05 Cinco de Mayo

Day 41 05/05 Cinco de Mayo

Mileage: 21.1
Camp: 476

I cleaned up my stuff at the Saufley's and got ready to go. I was taking my time. I was gonna miss this place. What hiker wouldn't? The Saufleys had displayed such hospitality that it truly lives up to the name Hiker Heaven. It reminded me a little bit of home. I think everyone who comes through there sees home in some way.
I double checked to see if I left anything and said bye to the two other hikers there, Orange Ranger and Pockets.
I knew I'd see them again somewhere North.
I don't think the Saufleys were up yet when I left. I said goodbye to the horses as I went out the back gate.
I walked the mile into town and ate at the Sweetwater Cafe. I had a very good breakfast before I left-two eggs, hash browns, 4 strips of bacon and huge biscuits and gravy all for $8.49!
I was sad to leave.
I walked the trail out of town past ranches and horse corrals, and the occasional small farm with a mini ghost town on it. It's so cool to see all of the vintage gas pumps and signs around.
The day was hot but as I rose into the hills, the wind picked up and it would dry the sweat in seconds.
I went around mountain after mountain, the trail winding like a dusty snake in the chaparral and manzanita.

Near sunset I came across the famous Anderson's cache. I hadn't expected much because I'd heard it was empty. Boy was I surprised. They must have just stocked it. It was like a hidden kid's fort in the bushes, except replace all the toy guns and stick swords with beer and lawn chairs.
There must have been 50 gallons of water there, along with soda of all kinds and over 50 beers. I took two beers for later and moved on, I wanted to get a little further tonight.

I took a break as the sun went down. I watched the sky change colors while I ate dinner. Then I hiked on into the night. The trail was wide and easy to follow through the darkness. I rose higher and higher into the hills as it got gradually darker. I walked until about 9:30pm, when I started to see a glow behind the mountains. This was it.
I stopped and laid down my footprint and got ready to cowboy camp.
I cracked open one of the beers as the moon rose crested over the mountainside and lit everything like it was daylight.
Tonight the moon was closer than it's been in years. It appeared huge in the sky, like you could reach out and touch it. It won't be this close again until the 70's.
The 2070's.
I drank my two beers as I watched the moon rise. Luckily the night kept the Natty Ice cold.
Happy Cinco de Mayo to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment