Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 33 04/24 New Ground

Mileage: 20
Camp: 362
The morning came and my time to see family was over. I couldn't believe how quickly it had passed. My dad drove me back down to the Cajon Pass behind the McDonalds and soon enough I was getting out of the car just like Dan and Joe.
I was sad to go but also excited. I was about to get the chance to hike the entire San Gabriel range, and I would do it alone.
That had been a dream of mine, before I ever imagined doing the PCT. When I used to run myself into the ground at work all day I would imagine escaping away to the mountains and hiking them end to end from the Cajon Pass to Agua Dulce. It seemed so huge of a trip to me. I'd have to take off more than a week from work!
I guess it's really put into perspective now.

I couldn't only not wait to tackle this range, I was excited to catch Joe and Dan. It would be a challenge, but if I move quickly enough I could do it. Joe was two days ahead, at least. Dan by a day.
That's maybe 20 miles to make up on Dan, double that for Joe?
I'll catch them. It'll be fun.
The day was long and all uphill, but for the first time I got to really see the Cajon Pass for all it's beauty, and not just an obstacle I've had to drive down.
The path led me through a culvert and up around the giant sandstone Mormon Rocks. I ran into two playing deer, who got away before I could snap a picture. The day was awesome, and I was motivated. Wrightwood was in twenty miles or so, but with a full week's worth of food I wouldn't have to stop.

Everything from this point forward was new ground. So far I at least vaguely knew the surroundings I was in but now everything was unfamiliar territory. 342 miles down, 2,323 to go. It had felt like enough of an accomplishment to get to my parents, but I was only 1/8th done. Everything in me was determined to continue.
The trail was becoming my home.
I was practically skipping. I went as far as I could for the day and made camp high on a switchback where I had an awesome view of my home below. The High Desert lit up like a sea of Christmas tree lights as the sun dipped below the mountains.
I even had signal.
It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment