Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 17 04/02 Rising


Today we got up early and scarfed down our leftovers from the Paradise Cafe along with some fruit and yogurt. We had a big day ahead of us, we were gonna be leaving behind the desert and entering sub-alpine territory and the whole day was gonna be one big climb.
We met Trail Angel Dave out front of the Idyllwild Inn at 8:00am on the dot, we were thankful he was an early riser, we didn't wanna have to come to town early in the first place to resupply so we wanted to get a good long day in today.
We traded cactus for conifers after we passed 5500 ft, and the weather was going from hot to cold like it couldn't decide. We slowly climbed up to 6700 where we took an afternoon nap, both of us feeling the effects of elevation.
We have been trying getting up early and hiking until about 1:00 then taking a seista during the hottest part of the day and nap was so nice, with the sun on me, and distant birds, and just silence.
It was dead quiet on the trail as we approached 7000, with beautiful views down to the Lake Hemet valley on one side and the desert on the other. Palm springs seemed more like a painting on the ground than an actual city it was so far below. I tried camping without the rain fly just under the stars to see how comfortable I was below freezing with no wind. If I was ok then I knew I could always add the fly for an extra ten degrees or so or if the wind got too bad. Turns out it got windy but it was a beautiful clear night with the moon lighting up the little meadow around me, and once I was buried in my mummy bag I forgot about the wind completely.

6 comments:

  1. Hey bro I have a great bivy bag for you'r sleep system. let me know if you want it if you don't have one all ready it's going to be really cold in the Sierra's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Buck! I am blown away by the interest and support in what he doing. I am his Dad and I check for updates to this blog 5 times a day atleast! I never knew he was so good at telling stories! I mean true ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah totally haha he has been writing some awesome detailed reports / pics all of which are great for the sport (that most folks in society are clueless about) And truly the Ultra-Lightweight hiking guys are sport inside a sport. I got Alexs' page right on my phone. Its cool to follow his updates and if there is anything I can lend out I will. I'm not sure if he will need crampons at some point but I have some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stories Alex! I also plan to do a through hike of the PCT someday. This Summer I will be doing a section hike of the PCT up here in Oregon around the Santiam Pass/ Mt Hood area. Stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying the story so far. Looks like a blast out there man! Keep hydrated and happy trails

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow amazing pictures! That tree is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen, i have to go see it

    ReplyDelete