Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 35 O4/29 Baden Powell

Mileage: 11.7
Camp:387.7

Soon my Dad is dropping me back off at the Vista Inspiration Point and I'm getting out of the car. I shake hands with Joe and Dan. Who knows when we'll see each other again.
If we do. The trail is like that.
We could be camped a few miles a part for a week straight and we'd never know.
My dad takes a picture of us before they get back in the car and drive off.
"The three musketeers," he says.
"Maybe the last time you'll be together. "
I'm feeling good. I'm back on the trail, back to the life.
And it's not as windy as it was last time I was here.
I hike fast with my mind full from town and only half the day left. It's not long before I come to the base of Mt. Baden Powell.
My favorite "sheep crossing" sign marks the start of four miles of ascending switchbacks. I know I won't be on them for long though. There's bound to be snow, it's 9399' and there's been snow way below that lately.
I pass hiker after hiker on their way down, all wearing confused looks on their faces. Their beast is conquered for the day; why am I heading up?
Some stop to ask.
A VERY thoughtful lady gives me her wetwipes. A brand new package. I'll need them more, she says.
Then this guy recognizes me from my hometown newspaper. That totally blew me away. Daniel Kingman, climbing Mt. Baden Powell for the day, wants to do the PCT one day.
Out of everyone I've met on the trail that says that he's the only one I've taken seriously. He talks about riding his motorcycle long distances across the U.S. He seems capable.
I think he'll end up doing it.
Maybe he will. Or maybe I'm just hoping he will to repeat the cycle.
Little does Daniel know but last year I climbed Mt. Baden Powell on a day hike just like him, around the same time. I met a thru hiker that day. That's one of the things that made me really wanna do the PCT.


I had hiked up Baden Powell when it was covered in snow, with only a stick when I should have had an iceaxe. Two miles in, before the snow two Germans decked out expensive gear are headed down. They tell me "It's too bad. It's too dangerous. Turn around."
I thanked them and said I was enjoying my hike and I'd turn around at the snow. It turned out to not be so bad. It was snowy and any sign of switchback or trail disappeared completely under the snow, and my path became straight up.

Eventually, I made it. There was no one else on top. I was proud. It was the tallest mountain I'd climbed yet.
It was late in the day. Just as I was about to leave the top several thru-hikers came up. I talked with them for an hour.
These people were hiking gods. This mountain meant nothing to them. It was simply in their way. One continued on!! It was almost dark, and this guy was still hiking in the snow? The other two were gonna sleep on this peak! This exposed, windy, rocky peak!
They obviously had experience, just from our conversation I could tell. I had heard of the PCT, but then I knew.
I had to do it someday.

A year later and it had actually happened. Suddenly I had become one of those thru hikers...this mountain was merely a stop on my path to Canada. What had seemed monumental before now seemed like an easy four miles to me. Enjoyable even. This was where it all began.

I get to the top and have it to myself. I find a couple of nice flat spots just off the peak and above the snowline, but I want to camp right on top.
Tippy top.
I lay out my cloth on the highest point on the mountain. This is where I'll camp under the stars. Just like the ones who I met that night a year ago.
The sun goes down and I watch a beautiful sunset. The San Gabriels roll on into the horizon in front of me, swathed in the pink light. I can see the city lights glowing in both the Inland Empire and the High Desert. It's beautiful. I'm grateful to be here.
I can't believe it's actually happened. I'm on this trip.
Thank you everyone who has helped me make this dream a reality. Especially my parents and Grandparents, who have given again and again to help make this happen.

I don't know what's ahead, but I'm excited. The wind is calm and the night is cool. I've never slept this high before. It's got to be great for acclimation.
I'm all alone up here. It's peaceful. I can see the cities below and the Milky Way above.

No, not the candy bar. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment