Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 34 04/25 Appointments

Mileage: 14
Camp: 376

I had debated whether or not to put the tent up last night and I'm glad I did. I prefer cowboy camping but when I stopped to camp wind was blowing through pretty decently and there were grey clouds on the horizon. I seriously doubted it would rain and set the tent up begrudgingly. At least it would get me out of the wind.
It ended up raining around midnight. I awoke to the soft patter on my rainfly and went back to bed happy it hadn't been a waste.

Unfortunately I hadn't come across water in a while and Id camped with .75 of a liter. To cook with and everything. I knew I'd spend a thirsty night but I had no choice. The next guaranteed water wasn't for 8-10 miles.
I woke up dehydrated and grumpy. The weather was testy outside. I called my dad before I left signal again. He informed me a photographer for my hometown newspaper would be coming to meet me and I had to book it.
I packed up and got on the move.
Luckily I had signal all day and I tried to coordinate with the photographer and my Dad as I sprinted the 14 miles to Vista Inspiration Point, the nearest road and point where they'd be meeting me.
However I felt exhausted and sick from the dehydration and the miniature storm that was blowing through the mountains couldn't decide if it was going to sleet or snow. I was slowed down everytime I had to take my rain gear on or off. I was heading uphill and I was sweaty; I didn't want it on if I didn't have to.
I came to water and took twenty minutes to right myself.
Hydrated and full of trail mix, I marched through the last miles over windy ridges and through the the Mountain High ski resort until a road became visible. That road was HWY 2, and soon the Vista Inspiration Point came into view.

I got there and it was just a flat empty piece of asphalt, not a car in the parking lot.
I did a tour of the bathrooms, and the photographer pulled up.
After we were done, he pulled away and I sat to wait for my Dad. It wasn't 15 minutes before he had me picked up and on the way back to their house for the trip down to the Annual PCT Kickoff Party in Lake Morena back by the border. My Dad would go find Joe and Dan in the morning and shuttle us down for two days and then back.
Tonight I felt like I got one free bonus night with my family.
On the way home I already had food on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment