Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 13 03/29 "Going" in the woods

Slept kind of bad, woke up like six times. That's ok though, your definition of good sleep changes out here, just like what you consider to be clean water.
Speaking of water i woke up with my tent covered in condensation.I laid it out to dry and decided to go take my morning trip to the "bathroom" and give it some time to dry. I got my iceaxe (or cathole digger) and wetwipes and hopped over the stream with some distant bushes in mind.
As my foot touched the ground on the other side of the stream I hear voices. Two kids come crashing out of the bushes, two turns into three, four, then TEN. I try to be inconspicuous and slip the wetwipes in my pocket, but you can only be so inconspicuous when you're carrying an ice axe and there's no snow.
As I set it down a teacher runs up and introduces herself as Sheri Freeman, the local agriculture and bio teacher at the Warner Springs school. It was actually good that I met her, she informed me that for sure the Warner Springs convinience store IS closed, and that now only the post office is left open in the town. That was a bummer, it was gonna be the highlight of the morning but it was good to know. THRU HIKERS: she also mentioned she was opening up a store, The PCT shop and stop for hikers this season. She might have it out of the school so call her at:951-204-8697 before you get there. There's spigots at the fire station and behind the P.O.
I hiked into Warner Springs and walked the extra three mi. to the post office and back to mail some postcards. There i saw Joe at the fire station spigot. Apparently he'd hitchhiked the three miles because he'd been lucky enough to get picked up by a guy going to the post office and coming back that same way. Like I told you. Hitching PRO.
We started back on the trail and across a meadow, which was so nice because I was expecting more rocky desert and aching feet.
We came over a hill and there were at least a dozen horses just grazing right by the trail. They just watched us pass by.
The trail led again into the 100 acre wood :) and we met two day hikers, Kurt and Jana who were on their way back in and were really nice and donated their water to us. Kurt yo-yo'd California last year (hiked bottom to top and back again)- thats quite an accomplishment! We ascended up into arid mountains, crossing a creek six times and bringing us back near to 5000 ft. We got water from a nasty looking but really good spring/trough above the Lost Valley and watched the sun go down. I decided to try camping without the rainfly on tonight because the whole top of my tent is mesh and I haven't done it yet. Although Ive done it in warm weather before this trip, ive never tried it in low temps but with no wind and a half moon, I'm pretty warm and it's looking to be a good night. Oh and Joe wants you all to know how I hiked up 2000 feet after Julian carrying a buck fifty in change in my pocket. 'cause were so ultralight and all. :)
It felt wrong to through money away!! Everytime I got rid of coins I got more. I left it in a water cache box, 13 miles up a hot, dry ridge from scissors crossing.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog via TrailForums.com. Good luck on your through-hike! What are you using to update along the way? iPad? What solar rechargers are you using?

    Have a great time!

    warmly,

    The Racoon

    ReplyDelete